August 29, 2011
I’d known about Ellis (at no. 1 this month) for several years but it wasn’t until I saw her live at Sisters Folk Festival last year that I fell in love with her and her music. Definitely one of the most engaging performers I’ve ever seen. That laugh! You can’t help but laugh along. Catch a show if you can and try out the rest of that latest album Right on Time ~ it’s great. Gosh, there are a lot of links in this paragraph. But, if you’re not all clicked out, here are some of my snapshots from that festival.
I’m always drawn to live performance recordings. In the singer/songwriter world they tend to be less production-oriented and more acoustic. There are three live songs voted into the Top 20 this month: Damien Rice (no. 2), Kris Kristofferson (no. 5), The Kennedys (no. 15).
San Diego is represented by the lovely Sara Watkins of Nickel Creek (no. 10), Angela Correa (no. 13), and we always lay claim to Tom Waits, too (I especially love that song at no. 9). Waits moved to San Diego as a child and as a adult had his first paying gig at the Heritage nightclub where he worked as a doorman. According to Wikipedia ;)
Thanks for listening to the Pie and for voting for your favorites!
Top 20 Songs
Acoustic Pie Radio
Artist ~ Song ~ Album
1. Ellis ~ Coming Home to You ~ Right on Time
2. Damien Rice ~ I Remember ~ Live at Fingerprints: Warts and All
3. Teitur ~ Amanda’s Dream ~ Poetry & Aeroplanes
4. Susan Gibson ~ Passin’ Through ~ Tightrope
5. Kris Kristofferson ~ Moment of Forever ~ Broken Freedom Song: Live from San Francisco
6. David Gray ~ Kathleen ~ Draw the Line
7. Dan Baker ~ Day’s First Dream ~ Sad Song Junkie
8. Colin Devlin ~ The Heart Won’t Be Denied ~ Democracy of One
9. Tom Waits ~ In Between Love ~ The Early Years Vol. 2
10. Sara Watkins ~ Where Will You Be ~ Sara Watkins
11. Jennifer Leonhardt ~ Dido ~ Minstrel’s Daughter
12. The Ashley Gang ~ Confession ~ A Girl in Oklahoma
13. Angela Correa ~ Saint Dinan ~ Correatown
14. Tom Waits ~ Grapefruit Moon ~ Closing Time
15. The Kennedys ~ Distant Thunder ~ Positively Live
16. Christopher Dallman ~ Hollow High ~ Race the Light
17. Alphaeus Taylor ~ War and the Widow ~ War and the Widow
18. William Fitzsimmons ~ I Kissed a Girl ~ Derivatives
19. Karine Polwart ~ Rivers Run ~ This Earthly Spell (Expanded Edition)
20. Justin Roth ~ The Last Time ~ Now You Know
May 31, 2011
Here are the Top 20 Songs on Acoustic Pie Radio for May! Listeners seemed to be connecting with the classic singer/songwriters in the genre this month voting for Tom Waits (no. 2), Arlo Guthrie (no. 6), Patty Griffin (no. 11) and Jackson Browne (no. 13).
Jason Mraz squeaked in at no. 20 to represent our local San Diego artists.
Thanks, as always, for listening to the Pie and for taking the time to vote for your favorites!
Top 20 Songs on Acoustic Pie
Artist ~ Song ~ Album
1. Richard Shindell ~ Bye Bye ~ Not Far Now
2. Tom Waits ~ Grapefruit Moon ~ Closing Time
3. Kris Delmhorst ~ Strange Conversation ~ Strange Conversation
4. Hayward Williams ~ Thunder Road ~ Another Sailor’s Dream
5. Ellis Paul ~ Nothing Left to Take ~ The Day After Everything Changed
6. Arlo Guthrie with the University of Kentucky Symphony Orchestra ~ Darkest Hour ~ In Times Like These
7. Sarah Jaffe ~ Swelling ~ Suburban Nature
8. Jack Williams ~ Hand Me Down ~ The High Road Home
9. Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova ~ If You Want Me ~ Once (Collector’s Edition)
10. Dave Carter and Tracy Grammer ~ Snake-handlin Man ~ Seven is the Number
11. Patty Griffin ~ Trapeze ~ Patty Griffin: Live from the Artists Den
12. Joe Crookston ~ Caitlin at the Window ~ Darkling & The BlueBird Jubilee
13. Jackson Browne ~ My Stunning Mystery Companion ~ Solo Acoustic Vol. 2
14. Deb Talan ~ Rocks and Water ~ A Bird Flies Out
15. Chris Kokesh ~ Risk My Heart ~ October Valentine
16. Cheryl Wheeler ~ Grey and Green ~ Pointing at the Sun
17. Xavier Rudd ~ Partnership ~ Solace
18. Kimmie Rhodes ~ Start Saying Goodbye ~ Dreams of Flying
19. John Spillane ~ Gortatogort (The Farm) ~ My Dark Rosaleen and the Island of Dreams
20. Jason Mraz ~ Plain Jane ~ Hear Music XM Radio Sessions Vol 1
January 3, 2011
I’m always happy to see Jonathan Byrd on the Top 20 list, especially at no. 1 as he is this month. He’s the sort of contradiction that makes music resonate for me ~ a literate, lyrical poet with a beautifully natural, rootsy sound.
The Tom Waits album I stumbled across last month, The Early Years, is similar in that way. But as much as I loved The Early Years, I did hesitate to add so many songs to the Acoustic Pie stream. I don’t think the songs were intended for public release and there are serious pitch problems, especially with the guitar! But I took the leap and I was happy to see that none of you hit the “Don’t Like” button or changed the channel during the Waits’ songs. I hope that you found, as I did, that the songs are astonishingly beautiful despite (or because of?) the raw performances. “I Want You” (the song voted in at no. 6 this month) has to be one of the simplest yet prettiest love songs on the stream.
San Diegans always claim Tom Waits as one of our own. The credentials are a little sketchy but I’ll accept the precedent and say that he’s joined this month in the Top 20 by San Diego’s highly credentialed and in-residence artists The Donnis Trio (no. 17).
Thanks for listening and thanks for all of the holiday greetings, too! I love hearing from you!
Artist ~ Song ~ Album
1. Jonathan Byrd ~ The Law & the Lonesome ~ The Law and the Lonesome
2. Patty Griffin ~ Heavenly Day ~ Patty Griffin: Live from the Artists Den
3. Mark Erelli ~ Hope Dies Last ~ Delivered
4. Karla Anderson ~ Hold On ~ King Easy Radio Sampler, Volume 5
5. Ellis Paul ~ Hurricane Angel ~ A Summer Night in Georgia
6. Tom Waits ~ I Want You ~ The Early Years
7. Deb Talan ~ Rocks and Water ~ A Bird Flies Out
8. The Chapin Sisters ~ Drop Me ~ Lake Bottom LP
9. Brian Vardigans ~ Springhill ~ Springhill
10. Tom Kimmel ~ Pages ~ Light of Day
11. Peter Mulvey ~ Road to Mallow ~ Kitchen Radio
12. Patty Griffin ~ Tomorrow Night ~ 1000 Kisses
13. Krista Detor ~ Recklessness & Rust ~ Chocolate Paper Suites
14. John Spillane ~ Soon Child ~ Will We Be Brilliant or What?
15. Jennifer Leonhardt ~ Dido ~ Minstrel’s Daughter
16. Emily Kurn ~ If I Am an American ~ Things Change
17. The Donnis Trio ~ Bound to Find My Way ~ All Directions
18. Cheryl Wheeler ~ Since You’ve Been Gone ~ Defying Gravity
19. B. W. Stevenson ~ On My Own ~ Lead Free/B.W. Stevenson
20. Matt Nathanson ~ Angel ~ At the Point