May 31, 2010
I’m very happy that you’re still enjoying that wonderful acoustic duo Storyhill (no. 1 this month)! You’ll now find three brand new Storyhill songs from their latest album Shade of the Trees in the stream as well. New songs are always listed on the website in the Radio section.
Patty Griffin has been in the rotation since Acoustic Pie first began in 2002. She’s just great ~ that’s all there is to it (no. 6 and no. 19).
San Diego artists in the Top 20 for May are Eve Selis (no. 3), Aaron Bowen (no. 11) and Calman Hart (no. 13). Yes, we have some amazing songwriting talent here.
Thanks so much for listening and for voting, everyone!
Artist ~ Song ~ Album
1. Storyhill ~ Give Up the Ghost ~ Storyhill
2. Gretchen Peters ~ To Say Goodbye ~ Burnt Toast and Offerings
3. Eve Selis ~ Love Came Just in Time ~ Hey Nineteen
4. Chris Pureka ~ 3 a.m. ~ Driving North
5. Antje Duvekot ~ Lighthouse ~ The Near Demise of the High Wire Dancer
6. Patty Griffin ~ When It Don’t Come Easy ~ Patty Griffin: Live from the Artists Den
7. Jann Arden ~ Unloved ~ Living Under June
8. David Wilcox ~ Open Hand ~ Open Hand
9. Darrell Scott ~ 6 O’clock in the Morning ~ Theatre of the Unheard
10. Bruce Cockburn ~ Celestial Horses ~ Slice O Life ~ Live Solo
11. Aaron Bowen ~ Song No. 2 ~ Macaroni
12. The Chapin Sisters ~ Bird Song ~ Lake Bottom LP
13. Calman Hart ~ Rosalee ~ The John Boy Drum
14. Cheryl Wheeler ~ Grey and Green ~ Pointing at the Sun
15. Amber Rubarth ~ Answer ~ Good Mystery
16. Sons of the Never Wrong ~ Head over Heels ~ On a Good Day…I Am
17. Stephen Kellogg ~ Such a Way ~ Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers
18. Landon Pigg ~ Made for Glory ~ The Boy Who Never
19. Patty Griffin ~ Burgundy Shoes ~ Children Running Through
20. Patrick Fitzsimmons ~ Vermont Skies ~ Live: The Birthday Shows
May 2, 2010
One of the things I love most about radio is the surprise. Not knowing what artist will play next ~ an old favorite or possibly a new. So I often set the (currently) 32-hour Acoustic Pie playlist to “shuffle” mode to play the 500+ songs in random order. Each time I hear a Robyn Landis song I feel a delicious surprise and I think, “Gosh, that’s a beautiful song. Gosh, what a beautiful voice.” And that’s what I love about radio. Robyn was voted by listeners into two spots on the Top 20 this month, no. 5 and 11.
Two Weepies songs this month (no. 10 and 19) ~ no surprise there!
The no. 1 spot is held by a new-to-me artist Landon Pigg whom I heard on my favorite XM satellite station The Coffee House (at no. 51 on the satellite dial). Their advertised genre is “acoustic singer-songwriters”! You’ll think I’m silly to find that so exciting but I started the Pie in 2002 because it was impossible to find acoustic arrangements of original songs on the radio. And now there’s a whole satellite station devoted to it. I just think that is wonderful and amazing.
I think you’re all wonderful and amazing, too! Thanks for listening and for voting for your favorites!
Top 20 Songs on Acoustic Pie
Artist ~ Song ~ Album
1. Landon Pigg ~ Made for Glory ~ The Boy Who Never
2. Tim O’Brien ~ Like I Used To Do ~ Odd Man In
3. Syd ~ Back Home ~ Fault Lines
4. Danny Schmidt ~ Accidentally Daisies ~ Instead the Forest Rose to Sing
5. Robyn Landis ~ She Don’t Have Your Eyes ~ Many Moons
6. Jonathan Byrd ~ The Cold & Hungry Night ~ This is the New That
7. Stephen Kellogg ~ Such a Way ~ Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers
8. Richard Shindell ~ A Juggler out in Traffic ~ Not Far Now
9. Greg Trooper ~ Cumberland Square ~ Popular Demons
10. The Weepies ~ Slow Pony Home ~ Say I Am You
11. Robyn Landis ~ Leave You Behind ~ Many Moons
12. Gretchen Peters ~ To Say Goodbye ~ Burnt Toast and Offerings
13. Cheryl Wheeler ~ Since You’ve Been Gone ~ Defying Gravity
14. Anais Mitchell ~ Before the Eyes of Storytelling Girls ~ Hymns for the Exiled
15. Rachel Garlin ~ Bound to be Mountains ~ Bound to Be Mountains
16. Lori McKenna ~ Fireflies ~ Pieces of Me
17. Ellis Paul ~ Waking Up to Me ~ The Day After Everything Changed
18. The Ashley Gang ~ Just Like Feelin’ Lonely ~ A Girl in Oklahoma
19. The Weepies ~ Somebody Loved ~ Happiness
20. Jon Brooks ~ War Resister ~ Until You Come Home