O, Storyhill, will you never come to San Diego? I can’t believe I haven’t gotten to see this month’s no. 1 artist live-in-concert yet. An acoustic songwriting duo with a powerhouse harmony-driven sound. I love them. I love all of their albums. If you’d like a recommendation for your introduction to Storyhill, try the 2-disc live album Reunion. It’s wonderful. Ah, I just found this description of them on their website: “The male Indigo Girls and/or the contemporary Simon & Garfunkel.” That’s true!
I don’t remember mentioning Danny Schmidt before (no. 4 & no. 12). A warm voice, smart lyrics, acoustic arrangements ~ just my cup of tea. I’m very excited that he just signed with Red House Records, an important folk record label. Watch for his new album on his new label coming out in March.
San Diego artists are ably represented by A.J. Croce appearing at no. 6 this month. A.J. is Jim Croce’s son and an impressive pianist and songwriting talent. We’re very lucky to claim him as one of San Diego’s own.
Thanks for voting! Thanks for listening!
Top 20 Songs on Acoustic Pie Radio
Artist ~ Song ~ Album
1. Storyhill ~ Full Circle ~ Reunion
2. Tom Kimmel ~ Poetic Justice ~ Short
3. Johnsmith ~ Down a Gravel Road ~ To the Four Directions
4. Danny Schmidt ~ This Too Shall Pass ~ Parables & Primes
5. Jonathan Byrd ~ The Ballad of Larry ~ The Waitress
6. A. J. Croce ~ Almost Angeline ~ Adrian James Croce
7. Kostas ~ Ain’t That Lonely Yet ~ A Sample of the Songwriters Series
8. The Garden Verge ~ Drawn ~ Shadow of a Habit
9. Corinne West ~ Eye of the Storm ~ Second Sight
10. Andy Whittle ~ Broken Glass ~ A Songmaker’s Tale
11. Erik Balkey ~ New Olde Town ~ Deadpan Alley
12. Danny Schmidt ~ Columbine ~ Enjoying the Fall
13. Damien Rice ~ 9 Crimes ~ 9
14. Chris Pureka ~ Silo Song ~ Driving North
15. Garth Wilwand ~ The Fields are Empty ~ Eyes of the Hurricane
16. Darrell Scott ~ And the River is Me ~ The Invisible Man
17. Stacey Earle ~ If It Weren’t For You ~ Simple Gearle
18. Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova ~ Falling Slowly ~ Once (Collector’s Edition)
19. Dave Carter & Tracy Grammer ~ Workin’ For Jesus ~ Seven is the Number
20. Teitur ~ Louis, Louis ~ Stay Under the Stars
Great to see “New Olde Town” in your Top 20. I wrote that with Erik in the basement of the WestSide Cafe in Frederick MD, where I used to book the music and host weekly showcases. Now I host weekly showcases in San Luis Obispo and Santa Maria, CA. We had a great duo from San Diego last night — Rhythm Turner and Laura Payne. I’ll see them again tonight in Santa Maria.
Keep in touch–SK